Migration from Drupal to WordPress.com Complete

Well, I can proudly say that in less than 24 hours, and not without frustration and a few bouts of spilled beer, I managed to get Your Suspect 100% off of Drupal and off of Network Solutions, and onto the free WordPress.com system. I was shocked with out few resources there were available to me, so I had to get very creative. Here’s what I did:

1. I had to hack the Drupal system.module file to allow for more than 30 items per feed. I upped it to 999.
  2. I ran a cron job just to be safe.
  3. Saved my sites RSS feed locally, and verified that all the content was there, sans comments.
  4. Created a hosted WordPress.org site with a third party company. I made sure that this hosting company allowed for a) monthly plans with no contract and b) a quick and easy way of getting a hosted WordPress site going.
  5. I used the native WordPress Import feature to import a RSS 2.0 feed. It made it in without any issues, again, no comments.
  6. Then, I used the native WordPress Export feature to export all this content as a WordPress file.
  7. Here, are WordPress.org, I imported that file.
  8. There are still some DNS issues and remnant Feedburner matters that I’m dealing with, but for all intents and purposes, I’m off Drupal, I’m off Network Solutions, and I’m on WordPress.com.
  9. I manually updated each blog entry’s category and tags. That sucked, but it was necessary and well worth the effort.

This is a step in the right direction for this blog, easier to manage, more integration with a much larger blogging community, and just a whole lot less frustration.

So for all your rocket scientists out there, that’s how ya do it! Unfortunately, yes, it didn’t include comments, but I can live with that, I didn’t have that many comments to begin with.

venzie
    November 2, 2008 at 5:38 pm

can you tell me how you hacked the drupal rss to enable it to display 999 posts?

Ben Saren
    November 2, 2008 at 5:55 pm

@venzie I actually don’t remember all that well, but I recall there being a config file somewhere that allowed me to simply edit that value. I’m 90% sure I found that info on the drupal support pages, searching for “rss 999” or something like that. Once I did that, and published the file of course, I think it was pretty much all set. I vaguely recall something else – I’ll try to remember and get back to you. I hope this helps – sorry.

Elvis Ripley
    March 9, 2009 at 8:30 am

I just did this. It kind of feels like failing but I upgraded to Drupal 6 and had a rough time getting the content out any other way.

Ben Saren
      March 9, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I’m so glad I did it. I now have three different sites running on WordPress, I’m helping a friend build one, and I’m launching another two more for gits and shiggles! WordPress (.org) is just awesome. Glad to hear you safely crossed the waters!

max
    March 9, 2009 at 5:08 pm

hi ben,

i am assuming that since you switched from drupal to wordpress that you were not happy with drupal. i am in the midst of putting up a blog and am trying to decide between the two. the blog needs to be able to handle plenty of video. any advice/suggestions?? i am not a programmer and cannot understand the intracies of each technology to make an informed decision on my own. so, i need to rely on the advice of people who really know this stuff.

thanks so much for your insight.

max

Ben Saren
      March 10, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Hi Max,

I highly HIGHLY recommend WordPress. Drupal is great, but it just can’t hold a candle to WordPress. My suggesting is that you go to http://www.site5.com, sign up with them, and when you’re up and running, use they’re free Fantastico to install WordPress. It takes less than 60 seconds! Next thing you know, you’re downloading WordPress themes, installing add-ons, and doing all sorts of fancy stuff as if you were a programmer! Believe me. 🙂

Aaron M
    April 22, 2010 at 9:15 am

H! I see that it’s been well over a year since the last comment and I’m assuming I’m quite a bit late so far as that goes, but I stumbled across this looking to migrate from Drupal 6.x to WordPress 3 (at the time of writing, a beta is available).

The file that needs to be changed is here: root/modules/system/system.admin.inc

On line 1446 this line appears:

‘#options’ => drupal_map_assoc(array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)),

All I did was add ‘999’ as another value in the #options array, so that it looked like this:

‘#options’ => drupal_map_assoc(array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 999)),

Then, refreshing your Drupal admin, you will find that ‘999’ is now the bottom picklist value that appears under your RSS settings… voila!