Well, I can proudly say that in less than 24 hours, and not without frustration and a few bouts of spilled beer, I managed to get Your Suspect 100% off of Drupal and off of Network Solutions, and onto the free WordPress.com system. I was shocked with out few resources there were available to me, so I had to get very creative. Here’s what I did:
- I had to hack the Drupal system.module file to allow for more than 30 items per feed. I upped it to 999.
- I ran a cron job just to be safe.
- Saved my sites RSS feed locally, and verified that all the content was there, sans comments.
- Created a hosted WordPress.org site with a third party company. I made sure that this hosting company allowed for a) monthly plans with no contract and b) a quick and easy way of getting a hosted WordPress site going.
- I used the native WordPress Import feature to import a RSS 2.0 feed. It made it in without any issues, again, no comments.
- Then, I used the native WordPress Export feature to export all this content as a WordPress file.
- Here, are WordPress.org, I imported that file.
- There are still some DNS issues and remnant Feedburner matters that I’m dealing with, but for all intents and purposes, I’m off Drupal, I’m off Network Solutions, and I’m on WordPress.com.
- I manually updated each blog entry’s category and tags. That sucked, but it was necessary and well worth the effort.
This is a step in the right direction for this blog, easier to manage, more integration with a much larger blogging community, and just a whole lot less frustration.
So for all your rocket scientists out there, that’s how ya do it! Unfortunately, yes, it didn’t include comments, but I can live with that, I didn’t have that many comments to begin with.